You have to make this pizza. Okay, I won’t tell you what to do to.
But seriously. You NEED to make this pizza. Who knew something so simple could be so tasty?!
I couple weeks ago my sister and my parents got together to make a week’s worth of meals in one night. Everyone in my family has been so busy lately, mostly with major changes happening at work for all of us. We all know that it takes time to eat healthy. And when we are busy, the last thing we want to do after a long day at work is slave over a healthy meal–let alone do all the dishes afterwards!
I thought the Turkey Burger Pizza would be good…but I didn’t expect it to be THIS good!
To make this meal ahead, we bought a store bought whole grain pizza crust, but you could certainly make your favorite pizza crust, or, try this one! We then caramelized the onions and browned the turkey with lots of good flavors. I stored the onions and meat separate in the refrigerator overnight. On the day we planned to make the pizza, all we had to do was roll out the dough, add sauce, sprinkle with cheese, add the meat and onions! Bake for 10-12 minutes. Done.
Even if you decide to not prep this meal ahead of time, it will be a quick meal from start to finish.
Have I convinced you yet?
- Your favorite pizza crust, approx. 1#
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, plus more for a garnish
- Ground pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (or, blue cheese if you prefer)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- If you have a pizza stone, sprinkle with corn meal and set aside.
- In a small sauté pan, add olive oil and begin caramelizing the onion. This may take 10-12 minutes.
- In a separate pan, brown the ground turkey. Drain excess fat. Next, add the garlic, Worcestershire, parsley, and a pinch of ground pepper. Sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Add more Worcestershire, if desired.
- Roll out your pizza dough. (Depending on your chosen pizza crust, you may choose to pre-bake your pizza crust. Ours was rather thin once rolled out, so we didn't.)
- Spread the tomato sauce on the pizza crust. Top with turkey mixture, caramelized onions, mozzarella, and feta cheese. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the dough is cooked and cheese is completely melted and starting to brown.
- Garnish with extra parsley, if desired.
- If you are counting your calories, you can find the nutrition facts on MyFitnessPal by searching: Turkey Burger Pizza, Heaven Sent Peanut Butter.
- Nutrition Facts, 1/8th of pizza: 197 calories, 7.5 grams fat, 2.8 grams saturated fat, 16 milligrams cholesterol, 508 grams sodium, 22 grams carbohydrates, 1.5 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar, 10 grams protein